Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Doctors and Itching

Well, this week has been full of doctor visits! Monday afternoon I saw Dr. Tabor, Tuesday back to Tabor for blood work, and Wednesday Dr. Robbins. Phew! It does help the week go by but not in a fun way.

Here is the latest news-

Monday Dr. Tabor measured the babies. They are looking great well in Dr. Tabor's words "mighty fine"- Presley is 3 lbs 13 ounces and Parker is 4 lbs. Phew, that's about 8 pounds of babies! The other outcome of the appointment was the possibility that I have Chloestasis- not fun. The last week and a half I have been itching horribly! The itching is mostly on my hands and feet then spreads all over. Chloestasis is when the pregnancy hormone interferes with the liver causing toxic bile to go into your bloodstream- which causes the horrible itching. So, Dr. Tabor had me fast Monday night and come in Tuesday morning for blood work. Oh my gosh the fasting was NOT easy! I get dehydrated in about 30 seconds (it seems) so I was dying for water! I didn't care at all about food just wanted water! SO glad to have that over with! Just waiting to hear results... Oh and I was very disappointed when I left Dr. Tabor's office because he didn't check my cervix OR due the fetal fibronectin test which meant I would be having it done by Robbins. Eek!!! Update about test results below-

Wednesday I went to see Dr. Robbins. I was NOT looking forward to this appointment because of that fetal fibronectin test that was horrible last time. My appointment was at 1:30 but I didn't see Dr. Robbins until about 3:30- she had to leave for a delivery. The nurse wanted me to stick around because my blood pressure was high. I was uncomfortable in the inferno office but didn't mind because I knew one day that will be me she will be delivering. =) When she got back I heard the greatest news of all- NO MORE FETAL FIBRONECTIN TEST OR CERVICAL CHECKS of me! WOOHOO, so Dr. Tabor did have a reason! All my stress seemed to melt right away. The reason she will not be doing the test is because her checking me could actually move things along more quickly. She said I could be walking around dilated to a 4 but would not check me to find out...since I could walk around at a 4 for a long time...makes complete sense to me! I was worried with all the bleeding last time that she had caused something.

So, the biggest news- Dr. Tabor's office called me with my results today- my bile acids came back in the normal range. That is such a relief because I was SO worried that the babies were being poisoned by my body. Now though I was left thinking- "What the heck is causing this?!" The itching has been getting progressively worse on my hands, feet, ankles, and wrist. Last night I was able to sleep from 3 am to 6 am and that's it. The rest of the time was spent frantically scratching and moving an ice pack around on the spots. I have several skin creams and have taken benadryl...NOTHING helps except the ice. I take back every complaint I have had from pregnancy so far...I will take ALL of those things happily as long as I don't have this itching! =( I called Dr. Robbins to see what to do next and she said to stop taking my Procardia (contraction medicine.) She said it could be the cause of this...also me sitting in the sun could be part of the problem. No more sunshine for me! So, for now I will be off Procardia and visit Dr. Robbins on Monday morning to check my blood pressure and evaluate the itching situation. I'm praying the Procardia is the cause and I have relief soon and that I adjust to being off the medicine and do not go into labor as a result.

We learned some really sad news about my first baby- Pudge this week. I don't want this post to be completely depressing so I'm not going to write about it right now.

On a happier note- it feels like SPRING is HERE! Spring is my FAVORITE time of year! I love everything about it! I'm so happy our babies will be born during this beautiful time of year! I look forward to getting back into some cute spring clothes, (eventually!) flip flops, sunglasses, and pedicures! I'm thinking about trying to get a pedicure sometime soon.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I really don't have to read your blog anymore since we talk DAILY! However, I still like to look at it. :) I have to check up on my favorite person! Yes, go get a pedicure. It's so relaxing when you are pregnant. Maybe if we get a chance and Dustin does not have a game I can come see you during the break and we could go together and eat lunch?? Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete